Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Work or Not to Work?

When coming to college you may wonder if you should get a job or if college is going to be too much work to also have the responsibility of a job.  My suggestion to you is WORK!  

Even if your parents pay for all your bills (lucky you!) you could still benefit from working in college.  By working you can have extra cash to go shopping, out to eat, and out on the town.  

Don't know where to work?  Find a job on campus!  Not only can you walk to work everyday (imagine not having to scrape your car windows in the winter), but most on-campus jobs are very flexible with hours.  This makes working around your class schedule a breeze!  And some campus jobs  aren't open on weekends so you have plenty of time to hang out with friends, do homework, or go home.  

You may still be questioning this idea, thinking hmmm.. but how am I going to get my homework done?  The myth is that you need to study two hours for every one hour of class.  This is insane.  No one studies that much.  And if they do, they have no social life.  As long as you plan ahead, you will get all your homework and studying done that you need to.  Like I said, most jobs schedule around your classes so you aren't wasting your time, and some jobs are only open during the day so you have your evenings open.  I always wonder what people do with themselves all day if they don't work?  I know I would waste time watching TV, so working earns me money and doesn't let me waste time.

Another reason I think it benefits to work on campus is because you will meet more people.  Being a freshman is a little scary thinking of having to start over and make new friends, but by working together you'll have something in common already.  

I met my best friend the very first day of work as a freshman.  Since then, we have become roommates, taken mini-vacations, and plan on being in each others weddings.  

Here's a picture of Haley and I our freshman year.



And here's us going into our senior year of college.



Bottom Line: Work during college, make lifelong friends and earn money.

No comments:

Post a Comment